VPA/FLEGT: Small enterprises will face challenges
(Đại biểu Nhân dân) – Vietnam and the European Union (EU) has basically finished the negotiation for Voluntary Partnership Agreement. This is seen as a visa for Vietnamese wood products to enter the EU market. However, this Agreement is favourable only to large enterprises, while small and medium enterprises will face many difficulties.
Integration: Legal timber exports
(VTV1) – Consumers now are not only concerned about the quality and price of products, but they also care about how the products have been made, is the process legal or not? The wood export sector in Vietnam is no exception, especially for the products exported to the European market.
Consultation on the draft FSC National Standard for Sustainable Forest Management for Vietnam
(VNFOREST) – On 9th Dec 2016, VNFOREST, in cooperation with the German Development Cooperation (GIZ) and the project ForCES held the third consultation workshop on the draft FSC National Standard for Sustainable Forest Management for Vietnam. The workshop provided information to the participants about the progress of development of the standards, as well as provided opportunities for multiple stakeholders to share their opinions to improve the sustainable forest management standard.
Timber industry under the competition on materials
According to Vietnam Timber and Forest Products Association, timber processing industry in Vietnam will continue to expand in the near future, which will create a huge need for input materials, from both imported timber and local plantations. Most of timber enterprises nowadays see material supply to be the strategic part in their production and export plans
Transition from small to large timber forests
(NongNghiep.vn) – From the demands of the market, and the policy to re-structure forestry sector towards sustainable development, the transition from small timber to large timber forests is being the focus of different ministries and provinces.
December 2016: Global Forests Report 2016 – a report of CDP. Download at: https://www.cdp.net/en/research/global-reports/global-forests-report-2016?utm_source=Chatham%20House&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7843215_Forest%20Governance%20December%202016&utm_content=Call%20to%20action&dm_i=1S3M,4O3V3,O6JS1Y,HFIUG,1
December 2016: Uncovering the Risks of Corruption in the Forestry Sector – a report of INTERPOL. Download at: https://www.interpol.int/en/News-and-media/News/2016/N2016-166
December 2016: Reports from joint researches of timber associations and Forest Trends
– Current status of materials used in timber processing. Download at: http://goviet.org.vn/bai-viet/thuc-trang-su-dung-nguyen-lieu-trong-che-bien-go-8494
– Import of logs and lumber into Vietnam: Overview of the period 2013-2016. Download at: http://goviet.org.vn/bai-viet/go-tron-va-go-xe-nhap-khau-mot-so-net-chinh-giai-doan-2013-2016-8497
– Import of timber materials from Africa to Vietnam: Some highlights. Download at: http://goviet.org.vn/bai-viet/viet-nam-nhap-khau-go-nguyen-lieu-tu-chau-phi-mot-so-net-chinh-8498
– Timber trade between Vietnam and China: Some highlights. Download at: http://goviet.org.vn/bai-viet/thuong-mai-go-viet-nam-trung-quoc-2013-2016-mot-so-net-chinh-8496
– Timber industry in China: Market, Policy and implications for Vietnam. Download at: http://goviet.org.vn/bai-viet/nganh-cong-nghiep-go-trung-quoc-thi-truong-chinh-sach-tai-nguyen-va-y-nghia-doi-voi-viet-nam-8493
December 2016: Gỗ Việt Magazine no. 85. Download at: http://goviet.org.vn/bai-viet/go-viet-so-85-thang-12-nam-2017-8499
16th December 2016: National Workshop on the draft Laws on Forest Protection and Development (revised) was held in Hanoi. At the workshop, participants listened to the final report on implementation of Laws on Forest Protection and Development 2004, the draft Laws on Forest Protection and Development (revised) and other key issues to discuss and provide feedback. For more information:
19th December 2016: The Vietnam Administration of Forestry (VNFOREST) held a meeting to review the implementation of key tasks in 2017 and discuss the plan for 2017. The meeting was chaired by Mr. Ha Cong Tuan – Deputy Minister of MARD, General Director of VNFOREST. For more information: